Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Introduction

My dad is in need of a kidney. Sometimes it seems like this has always been the case, but I guess it's really only been a few years now. My dad is fortunate in that he has a lot of friends and family who care about him. He's a nice guy... the kind of guy you'd want to give a kidney to.

In the beginning, he had offers. A couple of his brothers got tested... a friend from a nearby congregation went through extensive testing, only to be turned away at the last minute. And then he decided to just settle down... get on the list... wait, wait, wait... despite the fact that I had offered to be tested.

Yeah, my dad is a nice guy... the kind of guy you'd want to give a kidney to. He's a good dad... who can hardly bear the thought of taking a kidney from his own daughter.

After a while, I kind of forgot that my dad needed a kidney. It seemed absolutely normal for him to be on dialysis. But when I went home to visit... he looked so rough, so tired. When I casually mentioned my dad's health in conversation with friends, they would be so apologetic... "I'm soo sooo sorry. That's awful."

Somewhere along the line, I realized that I couldn't just sit around and let him wait for a cadaveric kidney. It wasn't enough that I had gone through the motions of offering my dad a kidney. I did a home blood typing test and determined that my blood type was 0... just like my dad's. With this important information in hand, I renewed my campaign to convince my dad to take my kidney...

Six months later... I'm on my way. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show... because my dad has finally agreed to TAKE MY KIDNEY!!!

No comments: