Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Part Thirty Nine: Badges of Honor

My dad had his first post-transplant appointment today down at SLU and he and my mom stopped by my apartment afterward to have lunch.

Dad seemed confident he could make it up my steep stairs, but he was pretty wiped out after the climb. He settled into my couch while my mom and I made the short walk down the street to the bank and nearby restaurants.

The trip to the bank took longer than expected (I was depositing my summer tip money from Six Flags and the teller had to count out $32 worth of coins BY HAND). By the time we returned with the food, my dad was asleep on the couch.

Turns out the appointment went pretty good. The surgeon said the reason dad is so out of breath is because he is anemic. He offered the options of a blood transfusion or some sort of other (iron?) injections. I don't even know why the doctor made the suggestion of a blood transfusion. As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, my father will not accept blood transfusions. The surgeon knew that and had just gotten done telling my dad how little blood he had lost during the surgery and how it wasn't even necessary to think about giving him blood. And then he turns around and offers him a transfusion for his anemia. Weird.

Needless to say, Dad is going without the transfusion... and the doctor expects him to feel quite a bit better within the next week or so. I thought he'd already shown quite a bit of improvement since yesterday afternoon. He even felt well enough to pose for some pictures with me.

Here we are showing off our new scars. (You can see where I get my physique from... although I think we're both still a little bloated and swollen from our respective surgeries.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a Mt. Dew can that I spy in your hand??!!!

[shaking my head]

So...shouldn't your dad be taking iron pills? That's what I did when I was anemic.

-CF

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog and I really enjoy hearing from a donor's view. I had a transplant in August 2004 from a deceased donor. I had a living donor all lined up when I was called and asked how fast I could get to the hospital, they had a kidney for me.

I'm so happy you are recovering well and your dad is also. I can't get over the bruise he has! Your dad was probably given the option of getting hemoglobin booster injections. I was anemic pre-tx and my iron levels were just fine. I had to get an injection every 2 weeks to get my hemoglobin up to normal levels.

Do you know what your anitgen match is with your dad?

Jill

Anonymous said...

porkchop,

just discovered ur blog today and couldnt leave the screen for a couple of hours. I am donating on Dec 13th to a close friend. although i hav been to all of the briefings, tests, and psychological screenings, i had never read anything that really brought home what to expect. thank u

Porkchop said...

Jill and AJ-

Thank you both for writing in! I'm glad that you've been enjoying the blog. It definitely has given me something to do while recovering.

To answer your question, Jill, I don't know what my antigen match is. They never even officially told me my blood type! I guess I could find out if I wanted, but the doctors weren't really volunteering much information.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Badges of honor for sure! My scar is like your dad's, but I never had bruising like that. Did they tell him why he bruised so badly? I also was anemic and had blood transfusions after surgery. Since your dad doesn't believe in transfusion, I hope he will take the injections to help build up the red blood cells. Anemia can really make you feel terrible. I have also had a problem with some of my antirejection meds causing a low white count, but after the doctors tweaked the meds a little things have been fine. Even a year after transplant, I am still taking oral iron though, and I never felt 100% back to normal until I got the anemia under control.

You both look remarkably well for less than a week after surgery! Your dad's complexion is nice and pink. Renal failure usually causes the skin to get a yellowish tint to it, and it is amazing how fast that changes after transplant. Did he have that before?

Still praying for you both!

Mattie

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics, Amanda! Thanks for the updates on your dad - do you know if he was anemic before the surgery? You may have posted this before, but it slipped my mind - how old is your dad?

How are the anti-rejection drugs affecting him?

You look fantastic one week out! I don't think I'd bare my midsection for the camera - but then I'm 45 and you are a youthful 27.

Love the updates - keep them coming while you are recuperating.

Elizabeth

Carin said...

I'm jealous - I wish my scar looked as good as yours! I just showed my kids what my scar could would have looked like if they hadn't messed up (I had to be opened up completely when they ripped my renal artery).

My dad was slow getting back on his feet as well (he was pretty sick.) But, he still beat me out of the hospital by a day :)

Fun blog you have here.

Anonymous said...

woah lady. I was totally out of the loop. thanks for getting a hold of me. --I am so glad you and your dad's surgeries went well. I will let you know the next time I'm in MO--I would love to see you! you are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Amanda; As the potential donee of my daughter Elizabeth's kidney (November 21st), your blog has drawn a clear picture of what is ahead. I'm terribly excited! Daughters are the best!

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.