Monday, November 27, 2006

Part Fifty: New Directions

You may have noticed that more and more time has been passing between posts. I apologize for being so neglectful, but I really would've written if there had been anything to say. The increasing silence between updates is probably a pretty good indicator that my kidney adventures are drawing to a close.

My experiences have ceased to be fascinating or informative and instead are beginning to come across as just plain boring. I'm starting to think that I've done all that I can do here.

It has been nearly four months now since I first started this blog. And one month since I went through with my kidney donation.

I've enjoyed writing about my experiences. Mostly, I just wanted a record of what happened over the last four months. But I also wanted to provide the one thing that was lacking when I was making the decision to donate. Sure, there are plenty of "donor experiences" out there but most of them would barely break a printed page. What you generally come across is the, "I donated a kidney to my brother because I love him and it wasn't so bad and it made me feel great" sorta stories. When I started researching kidney donation, the stories I enjoyed the most were the more substantial accounts. Getting a "play-by-play" account of someone's kidney donation really helps you to imagine yourself doing it and enables you to prepare for each step along the way. Judging by the many comments I've received, it seems like I've been able to accomplish this and have been a help (and a source of amusement) to many potential donors.

I know that there are many out there who are just now discovering the Take My Kidney archive. I intend to leave the blog up indefinitely so that as many new readers as possible might stumble upon it and take something away from the account. I also intend to update it with new and incredibly exciting personal information as the need arises.

As my own kidney story winds down, I'd really like to turn my attention to others out there who have recently donated or are in the beginning stages of the donation process. I would be honored to share your stories with my readers... even if it's one of those half-page-feel-good sorta stories. If you think you'd be interested in being a featured donor on my blog, drop me a line at: porkchoppress@gmail.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda - you definitely achieved your goal, based on this reader's experience! I really needed to picture what would happen before actually going into surgery, and you helped me to do that in a way nothing else has! Thank you so much.

I am feeling better each day, 7 days post-surgery (especially after reading your blog and knowing what to expect). Now I just need to get my bowels to WAKE UP!!!! grrrrr ...

- Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Thank you Amanda, for this blog. I have referred to it many times when potential donors have questions about the process. It's accurate and amusing and really gives donors a picture of what they are facing.

Funny, I thought of your blog when I was watching Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" - why...? you ask? Her character's name is Holly GoLightly!
I pray your dad continues to improve. Take care and keep us updated when you can!
~Karol

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to compile a lot of the stuff I've read and learned into a paper and have a donor stories section and was wondering if you would mind me putting the blog here. I donated in September of 2005, but didn't have pictures and didn't document the experience and your story not only made me laugh (and cry), but reminded me of some stuff I had forgotten. you can email me at wlillie@hotmail.com.