Thursday, November 16, 2006

Part Forty Eight: Dad Update

Here's just a quick Dad update for you.

I had reported earlier that Dad would be having surgery to get his dialysis port removed tomorrow, but it turns out the surgery was this morning. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who had made this mistake. I was wondering why I was confused, but it seems as though the Friday surgery rumor originated with my parents. Thank goodness the hospital called my dad to remind him what time to be at the hospital in the morning!!

It seems crazy that you could be confused about which day you're having surgery... but then again, he's been in and out of that hospital so much over the past few weeks that I can see how it might happen.

Since I volunteered to open the store this morning, I wasn't able to hang out during the surgery. I did get up a little bit earlier and stop down at the hospital to see my mom. When I arrived, I ran into her near the elevators. Turns out, they'd just taken my dad into surgery right before I got there. If only I hadn't hit the snooze button this morning! Oh well. The surgery sounded like it would be fairly quick and routine. My mom said that some of the nurses and other folks up in the surgery area were asking about me. I'm not sure how much of that was really true and how much of that was just my mom trying to make me feel good.

I was able to visit with Mom for about a half an hour before I had to run off to work. During the visit, I learned that:

1) My dad gets to go home for good!
2) His creatinine level had dropped again to 1.6
3) They still haven't started him on his last anti-rejection drug
4) His "blood level" is up to "36" (Mom said 40-45 is normal for a guy? I don't know much about this.)

My mom called me later in the morning to tell me that the surgery went well. My parents were able to leave the hospital by 10am. Dad has a couple of new incisions... one below his belly button and another at the port location.

Although I didn't get to see my dad this morning, it sounded like he's doing better. I'm sure that going home will give him a real boost. Unfortunately, there will also be some sadness waiting back home for my dad. His sister passed away on Monday and the memorial service is this weekend. I'll be going home for the service, which will undoubtedly give me a chance to get a better assessment of my dad's condition and time to catch up with long lost family.

I will keep a tally of how many times I am referred to as a "brave little girl".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your dad's blood level of 36 is the measure of his percentage of red blood cells (RBC)to his total volume of blood. Once he begins taking his Epogen, that blood level will rise because his kidney will begin making new RBCs. But the level of 36 is very acceptable for day to day living. His creat. is great!!! Congrautaltions to you both!

Anonymous said...

Hey you.

Thinking of you and your family this week--wow. Also see CF for the text I sent her about a scarry incident on the bus with a be-dazzled woman. CF said that everything is better when bedazzled, but this incident left me wondering...

Much love.

cj

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear about your dad (but very sad about his sister). Keep us posted - my dad and I go in for surgery this coming Tuesday!!

Anonymous said...

I am curious about how you dealt with having a short testing period (was it around 3-4 months?) before actually having surgery? I have been under testing since the beginning of July and have a couple more tests to do and all this time I have to concentrate on the surgery and often feel like...."can we get this over with please????!!!". Email me if it is easier to discuss please. I look forward to your insight.
Regards,
RaChelle (in London)
Cshelloysters@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

You alright? I'm feelin kinda neglected here :) JK .... I know you got a lotta crap goin on right now, but I really do love reading your blog.