Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Part Twenty Two: Big To Do

Checklist of Things to Do

1. Order Living Will and Durable Power of Attorney

2. Make appointment for Exam and Pap Smear

3. Tell Part-Time Boss about Potential Kidney Donation

A week or so ago, I was lamenting about the stress of having to tell my part-time employer about the kidney donation and time needed off work. My older brother remarked that Organ Donation was shown to be one of the hardest things to approach your boss about... second only to asking your boss for a raise.

I sensed a bit of sarcasm in my brother's voice at the time and laughed at his little statistic. But really, I'm starting to think that it could totally be true.

Part of it is just me and part of it is just the situation.

I've always been bad about telling people things potentially unnerving things... especially when I wait too long to do it.

And then you add that to the fact that I applied for this job after I was more than halfway through the donor evaluation process. I already knew there was a good chance that I could be donating. But I didn't mention it to my boss because I didn't want it to affect his decision for hiring me. And now that this donation is becoming more and more of a reality, I am starting to feel dishonest for keeping it from him.

Either way, I've gotta tell him soon. Although I'm just working part time, he is giving me more and more responsibility. With the upcoming holiday season, I don't want to leave him in a bind.

I think today is going to be the day, kids. Stay tuned for an update.

UPDATE
I did it! I did it! I did it!

I was trying to work up the courage to call my boss and staring blankly at the computer screen. I went to a kidney donor website and read some experiences from living donors. Those things are always so encouraging. I like to read how much better off the recipients are after the transplant and how the donors always say that it was totally worth it. After scanning a few pages of these I remembered how much I really want to do this for my dad. I picked up the phone... dialed the store number... and got the ANSWERING MACHINE! *grumble*

My boss called back a few minutes later and I gave him the news.

It's funny how sometimes you don't realize how much something is weighing on you until you get it off your chest.

As one probably could have expected, my boss was incredibly understanding. After listening to me rambling on about the surgery, he began by commending me for doing this for my dad. He told me that it shouldn't be a problem, that I've been doing an incredible job in the short time that I've been there, and that he is more than willing to work with me on this if I am willing to stay on.

I'm glad to get that over with... It was really one of the last big hurdles for me. Now we can begin our countdown to D-Day with everybody on board!

5 comments:

EBuz said...

Good luck coming out to your boss as a kidney donor.

For whatever its worth (maybe not much), if I were your boss I would think: now that's just the kind of character, loyalty and selflessness I want in an employee. I clearly made the right choice in hiring her!

Many states require employers to grant leave (most say unpaid) to employees for organ and bone marrow donation. Unfortunately for you, Missouri's protection is limited to state employees :( Here's a chart that summarizes the law in all 50 states:
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/employ/Leave-medicaldonors.htm

Porkchop said...

Thanks for the wishes and legal advice ebuz.

Stupid state of Missouri!

Yeah, coming out as an organ donor is probably not quite as upsetting as coming out as some other things. But my boss can be kind of jerk. Who knows how he'll react.

Mostly I just like to worry unnecessarily about things. It will be fine.

EBuz said...

I just read the update and I'm so glad you got a supportive reaction. I actually even got a little bit teary. (I know ... dork!)

Anonymous said...

Um---ixnay on the d day.

It's K-Day, dude.

cj

Porkchop said...

Good point.. but K-Day is a top 40 radio station in Rolla, Missouri.

It will have to be something else...

Maybe TAKEMYKIDNEY-Day.

That just rolls right of the tongue, doesn't it?