Monday, October 30, 2006

Part Thirty Six: Early Mornings and Attack Dogs

Since the day of my surgery, I've been in the habit of getting up super early. Wednesday, we had to go in to the hospital at 6am, and the next two mornings I was woken up early by nurses who interrupted my slumber with a thermometer in my mouth and a blood pressure cuff on my arm. When I got home, I got up early because I wasn't sleeping too well. And Daylight Savings Time hasn't helped the matter much... Even when I think I'm getting up late(r) the clock still says it's early.

Every day when I wake up I feel a little bit better. Unfortunately for C, the more I am able to move around, the more restless I become at night. I guess she didn't sleep very well last night. Meanwhile, I got up all perky and feeling good at 6:00 this morning. I got my comfy sweatpants on and walked down to St. Louis Bread Co. to get a couple of bagels and a newspaper. I used the bagels to make egg and cheese sandwiches for breakfast.

I encountered a couple of large dogs on my walk. Fortunately, they were on leashes. But I couldn't help but wonder what might happen if one got loose and tried to jump on me. I found myself guarding my incision site with my arms as I passed them on the sidewalk, prepared for any potential attacks.

Today is probably the last beautiful day that we'll have for awhile and I'm glad that I was able to get out and enjoy it early this morning. My younger brother has the day off work and plans to come up to visit me and my dad. I'm hoping that he might be able to swing by and pick me up before he goes to see my dad so that I might surprise him with a visit.

It sucks not being able to drive anywhere. I'd walk but most places are too far and there are too many big dogs roaming the streets that could attack me (and rip open my incisions) at any time. As a young female living in the city, I also have to be on the watch for muggers and rapists and aggressive panhandlers. Sometimes it's easier just to stay home as a simple trip down the block can turn out to be exhausting.

After having the weekend off, and being in and out of work the few days following my surgery, Carrie returned to her first full day of work today. I think she's growing tired of her role as a caregiver. The novelty has worn off. I've gone from being a cute, whiny, heroic, needy little porkchop-head to a lump in the living room who keeps demanding things and is constantly needing help up to go to the bathroom. Hopefully things will return to normal soon, because I don't like burdening people.

Right now the plan is for my brother and his family to stop by later this afternoon, unless I can convince them to take me with them to see my dad. I need to straighten the house some. Then I'll probably just sit a little more.

*sigh*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is hard, Monkey.
This will be done before you know it and the lifetime of funny surgery stories will begin.

Really.

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't make me sound so disgruntled!

I haven't grown tired of being a caregiver....I'd much rather be at home handing you things and arranging your blankets than trying to fix a 130-page Word doc that is throwing corruption errors!

Also, with all your activity, you're not exactly a lump any more. You're much more fun to be around....now that you actually remember conversations. :)

Finally, don't make our 'hood sound so unappealing! Unless you're out at midnight, I don't think you need to worry about muggers!

Seriously!

-CF

Anonymous said...

How long are you restricted from driving? How is your dad doing?

Thanks for the frequent updates - it's good to hear that you are feeling better each day!

Elizabeth

Porkchop said...

Elizabeth-
I'm not sure how long it will be before I can drive. I meet with the surgeon on Thursday and I am hoping he'll give me the go-ahead then since I'm off the pain killers. Who knows though...

ken said...

I've actually been worried about you out and about in St. Louis--the most dangerous city in the country! How did that happen? If it's any consolation we live very near the most dangerous city in Massachusetts.