Friday, November 10, 2006

Part Forty Five: Pretty as a Picture

At some point yesterday, between Disney planning and video games, I got up the nerve to drop off my kidney camera at the nearby Walgreens.

I know that many of you out there have been biting your nails in anticipation of these photos. I apologize for taking so long to get them developed. I guess there was a part of me that was kind of creeped out at the thought of the photos. It was like I enjoyed knowing that they were there... that I had them... but I didn't necessarily want to see them.

My other concern was that the people at Walgreens would either:

A) Screw up the disposable camera somehow and lose my pictures forever.

OR

B) Be grossed out by the pictures and refuse to give them to me.

I brushed all of these fears aside and dropped the camera off for a Next Day pickup. This afternoon I anxiously made my way to the Walgreens photo lab and requested the photos.

Originally, I'd intended to wait to look at them until after I picked up C from work. Instead, I hardly made it back out to the car before I was tearing into the package.

I was pleased with what I got. The surgery pictures were satisfactory and there were a lot of funny pictures taken with the camera after the surgery. I was so out of it I don't even remember a lot of the stuff. It's kind of like when people leave disposable cameras on the tables at their wedding reception so that guests can document the experience from all angles. Usually the bride and groom get the cameras developed and find the most ridiculous pictures. I had to scan these into the computer, so I'm only giving you the highlights. Plus, they got kind of repetitive after awhile. You can only look at so many pictures of me looking drugged up with only one eye open. Here's what I got for you:

The physician's assistant came in and drew this circled K on me before surgery so they would make sure to get the right one out.



I'm assuming this is what things would've looked like from my viewpoint if I'd been awake. Thank God I wasn't awake! The guy on the right looking at the camera is my surgeon, Dr. S.



This is a picture of my kidney on ice right after it was removed. There's lots of other interesting things stuck on my kidney... but don't worry... they get all of that off.



Here's another shot of the kidney as it is being cleaned up.



And this is one of the other surgeons, Dr. M, holding my kidney after it's ready to go.



Next they put the kidney in this little container with some sort of solution in it. I'm assuming that this is what it was transported to the other room in?



This picture is from Thursday when I took a trip to see my dad at his room. I like how we are both wearing hats. There's not a lot of ways to accessorize a hospital gown.



And this was later in the evening during World Series Game 4. The funny thing about these next two pictures is that I don't remember this AT ALL! As you might recall, I was really in and out of it during that baseball game and ended up turning it off pretty early on. I was having trouble focusing and there's no telling at which point my Mom decided it would be funny to lay this Cardinals shirt on me and take my picture while I was watching the game. Carrie thinks I look like I'm in a vegetable state.



Apparently, I wasn't the only one who fell prey to my Mom's little games. My Dad seems a little more alert than me, though.



Well, I hope those were worth the wait. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but I didn't really feel comfortable handing over my digital camera to a complete stranger... even if I was trusting them to remove my kidney.

5 comments:

Sunsinger3 said...

Does your insurance cover the photographer?

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Look at your little pink kidney! Oh magical Kidney, you are so small, yet so mighty!!!
-bd

Anonymous said...

Cooooooooooool pics!!!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I didn't really think about my kidneys until I saw yours. Have you considered getting a cover shoot for that kidney? My inner kidney feels more beautiful because yours had the courage to pose. Just as it is. Except out of the body. Your kidney is a role model. I'm glad I got to know it. Visually.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!

I always wondered what my kidney looked like before it was transplanted to my brother. Now I have an idea.

Glad you're back at work. I'm back half-days, with hopes of returning full-days next week. I'm not as tired as I was when I first returned, so that's good.

It's been six weeks out for me since my surgery. I have a little oozing around one of the small incisions, but everything else has healed well.

Glad your dad is doing well. My brother is doing great, too. He is losing some weight though because of all the anti-rejection medicines. Is your dad having any trouble with his weight?

I, myself, have gained weight! Doing nothing for 5-6 weeks packs on the pounds. I'm more active now, so I hope to drop the five extra pounds I've packed on since surgery.

Take care,
Sheila/OH
Donor to brother 9/29/06